Building Strong Bones
Calcium + vitamin D3 + vitamin K2
MENACITM Kids is a syrup with micronized Tricalcium Phosphate (TCP), coated with lecithin. This unique delivery system increases calcium dispensability and absorption, even better than dietary products.
There is a growing awareness of the importance of maintaining a high calcium intake through life, especially for building bone. Calcium intake, particularly that during childhood, is a major determinant of bone mass in adults, and it also influences the rate of bone associated with ageing. In countries with a high incidence of osteoporotic fractures, a low calcium intake is associated with increased risk of fracture. Low dietary intake of calcium also is associated with higher risk of colon cancer and hypertension and may affect normal growth in children.
Building early strong bone development in children reduces their risk of osteoporosis and fractures later in life. Although dairy products account for about 70% of dietary calcium, total calcium intake remains inadequate. This realisation has led to the calcium fortification of an expanding numbers of foods. Particularly pressing is the need to ensure adequate calcium intakes for vegetarians and, those with mild aversions, and all children in general.
MENACIN Kids comprises a highly bioavailable non-animal source of calcium, vitamin D3 and vitamin K2.
Calcium Absorption Profile
A study of dietary calcium absorption in guinea pigs was performed at the University of Barcelona, in order to compare the bioavailability of calcium from three different sources: Tricalcium Phosphate (TCP), Menacin and dairy calcium. The absorption profile of calcium during 50 minutes was obtained and the overall uptake per time was calculated. In the figure below, it is shown that Menacin has the fastest increase of calcium in the blood.
The corresponding area under the curve (AUC) for plasma calcium concentration for each formulation was estimated measuring the amount of calcium absorbed during the experimental period. The results show that MenacinTM is 15% more bioavailable than Milk Calcium.
EFSA Marketing Claims for EU:
• Calcium & vitamin D3 contribute to normal growth and development of bone and teeth in children.
• Vitamin K2 contributes to the maintenance of bone.
Why vitamin K2 for children?
• Vitamin K2 is the “missing link” that directs calcium to bone and teeth by activating (carboxylate) the vitamin D dependent protein called Osteocalcin.
• A recent study with healthy children showed a marked elevation of under-carboxylated osteocalcin, indicating poor vitamin K status in general for children; both young and old (*).
In another study made by Kalkwarf et al (**), showed dependence between the level of vitamin K2 status and bone turnover.
• Higher levels of vitamin K2 are strongly linked to better bone mass and mineral content (***).
* van Summeren.M et al: Pronounced elevation of undercarboxylated osteocalcin in healthy children. Pediatr Res 2007, 6l:366-370
** Kalkwarf, HJ et al.Vitamin K, bone turnover, and bone mass in girls. Am J Clinical Nutrition, 2004 Vol.80, No. 4, 1075-1080
*** van Summeren, MJH et al:Vitamin K status is associated with childhood bone mineral content. British J Nutr 2008, p. 1-7
Menacin™ Kids’ Strong Bones with Micronized Calcium, K2 and D3
No more large tablets!
• Tastes great! Kid Pleasing Natural Flavors!
• More bio-available than other calcium sources
• One Daily dose (2 Tbsp) = 120 mg of highly bio-available calcium
• Provides more calcium than an 8 ounce glass of milk
• Suitable for Vegetarians and Vegans